Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Metallica - "Death Magnetic" review...


I closed my eyes and pressed play, my face looked as though I was expecting a great deal of pain, a kick in the nether-regions, or something terrible in that vein. These feelings totally validated by Metallica’s last effort, 2003’s St. Anger. To me this was essentially Metallica proving that the brown note exists as more than just a myth (busted, my ASS, Mythbusters!).

Now, first I need to say that I have been a big fan of Metallica though the years; unlike most of their “fans” that said they went bad after 1988’s “…And Justice For All”. I even got enjoyment out or Load and ReLoad, which is blasphemy to most “old school” Metallica fans. Do I think that their earlier stuff was better? Absolutely, but with the exception of St. Anger, none of there stuff was bad. I didn’t want to give up hope that they just didn’t have it in them anymore. Still, given the issues that have arisen within the band in recent years; their anti file sharing stance (that upset a lot of people just with the way they handled it), James’ drug and alcohol issues, as well as James and Lars’ general assholy-ness, I’m sure a lot of people did give up hope on them.

Part of me (ok, most of me) was frightened by the sheer length of time that they took in writing Death Magnetic. Its hard not to work up unbeatable expectations for something that takes half a decade to produce. For about a month leading up to 9/12 release of the album, the band released 4 tracks, one each week, to give fans something to chew on. The songs included where obviously some of the best tracks on the album; “The Day That Never Comes”, “Cyanide”, “My Apocalypse”, and “The Judas Kiss”. Hearing these tracks before the albums release did manage to calm some of my fears, but there are 10 songs on the disc, so that left 6 chances for the poop tone sounds of St. Laxative to surface again.

There I sat, chair turned toward the bathroom just incase of emergency as the play list progressed. However, I can gladly say that as the music started to play, slowly my fears started to subside, as did the intestinal cramping. A few songs stood out more than others, which was to be expected, and a few of them take a couple of listens to really get into. As I listened, a sound came out of the speakers that seemed familiar, yet slightly different. Not entirely 1980’s thrash metal, but also far from the tin can sound of St. Anger. Not really 1991’s “Metallica” (commonly and mistakenly referred to as “The Black Album”), 96’s “Load”, or 97’s “ReLoad”, but not really “Kill ‘em All” “Ride the Lightening”, or “…And Justice For All” either. “Death Magnetic is kind of all of them. The album barrows from the sounds of Metallica’s previous works, yet manages to add a more modern feel to it. I can gladly say that all in all Metallica didn’t disappoint. The album does have its weaker moments and is certainly not the best disc to bear the Metallica name, but for the most part it is a welcomed return to form for a band many gave up on.

If you ran away after having your ears flogged by St. Anger, you can come back. Give ‘em another shot, so in 5 years they can write “The Unforgiven IV”

I give this album 4 James Hetfield over exaggerated hyauh’s, out of 5

No comments: